Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
________________EDC is Committed to Diversity in the Workplace________________
The Mathematical Practices Institute (MPI) has multiple openings for faculty reporting to the Curriculum Program Director.
The goal of the Mathematical Practices Institute (MPI) is to empower teachers and professors K-16 to organize their teaching around mathematical habits of mind, including the Common Core State Standards for Mathematical Practice. Advocating for and building the capacity of districts and institutions to work toward the purposeful learning of content through engagement in mathematical habits of mind is designed to have a direct impact on the mathematical learning and performance of all students.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
The MPI Faculty provide professional development training and technical assistance, contributing further to the organization’s intellectual capital, and developing name recognition as a leader in the field; assignments have high visibility and large potential new business impact; s/he initiates and/or executes diverse, strategic, and high-impact projects, or is responsible for particular phases of a large, very complex project, involving:
• expert research, needs assessment, planning, strategizing, piloting, program promotion
• writing; editing instructional materials
• conceptualizing and leading product dissemination, evaluation, customization
• leading dissemination of information
• modeling and guiding facilitation of adult learning and web-based learning
• apprenticing adult audiences in the use of mathematical habits of mind and practices
• consulting with specialists, school districts and universities, or other experts
• investigating solutions to potential problems, which may result in products, programs, services or inventions;
• facilitating lesson study
• developing high-visibility presentations
• developing innovative techniques
• leading or supervising fieldwork
The MPI Faculty
• Build knowledge and capacity of the organizations and staff with whom we work
• Become familiar with these organizations to better meet and respond their needs and tailor solutions to the particular contexts
• Advises, consults and collaborates with senior management, MPI faculty, and project staff to provide information on new concepts associated with expanding existing products &/or programs
• Facilitate project teamwork and feedback exchanges
• Guides feedback exchanges; provides expertise to others
• Expands contacts and strengthens client relations; develops business and professional relationships by communicating technical information to professional or civic communities, government agencies, “stakeholders” or institutions
• Troubleshoot complex problems, proposing initiatives and recommending or negotiating solutions
• May be responsible for parts of diverse, small to mid-size projects or coordinate sections of larger, strategic projects
• May travel frequently
QUALIFICATIONS - This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; ability to facilitate professional development: and strong interpersonal & organizational skills.
• Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education & experience required
• Educational certification in a related discipline preferred
• PhD or equivalent in a related discipline preferred
• With Master’s degree, 7–10 years related experience in the disciplinary area, social science or public health research, education, training, curriculum design, consulting, organizational development or administrative management, including solid experience with computer applications, instructional design, and Internet research
• With PhD, 2–4 years related experience (as above)
• Multimedia technology skills
• 1–3 years prior project management or program development experience; demonstrable leadership skills
• Extensive knowledge of mathematics content in one or more of the following grade bands: K-5, 6-8, 9-12, 13-16
• Substantial knowledge of Mathematical Practices and/or Mathematical Habits of Mind
• Familiarity with Think Math! and/or the CME Project curriculum, preferred
CONTACT: No phone calls, please
EDC is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and a smoke-free workplace