#CLE13-916-011 – Engineer – Process Automation
ArcelorMittal Cleveland has an immediate opening for an Engineer in our Process Automation Division in Cleveland, Ohio. The following primary position responsibilities and key position requirements are intended to provide an overview of the position, but are not all-inclusive.
Responsible for safely implementing, improving, and maintaining Process Automation services for manufacturing operations.
- Employees in this position are required to have knowledge in Process Control, Programming, Computer Systems Administration, or specialized field built on an understanding of the theoretical concepts and principles and their context. This knowledge is typically acquired through professional or academic qualification or through more than three years of practical experience.
- Position requires approximately 40%-60% programming including a variety of programming languages and database management systems. It also requires approximately 20%-40% hands-on work with computers, PLC's, networking, video systems, etc. Other requirements include administrative and documentation work.
- Employees in this position will understand how to display and report process information to users which include manufacturing operators and business management. And they will understand how to translate engineering equations into software algorithms.
- Employees in this position will have a working knowledge of steel making and shaping processes and will understand effects of software and computer systems on high value manufacturing processes and equipment.
- Assists in coordinating project activities with other operating, maintenance, research, or engineering units to facilitate participation of appropriate staff in project completion.
- Contributes to successful project completion by participating in the resolution of issues such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of standard materials, and complex coordination requirements.
- Responsible for support of manufacturing facilities that must operate 24x7. This may involve after-hours calls.
- Frequently interacts face-to-face with operators in a professional and effective manner.
- Employees in this position are told what to do and given options for how and have the latitude to select the option to follow to achieve the required job results.
- Employees in this position are confronted with a variety of problems which need to be analyzed before it is possible to select the appropriate solution based mostly on past experiences and consultation with peers.
- Employees in this position are clearly directed by short term objectives. Employees are permitted to determine their own priorities as long as the end results meet standards of acceptability (e.g. quality, volume, timeliness etc.)
- Employees in this position perform or supervise activities which are specific as to objective and content but there is a requirement to interact with co-workers and maintain an awareness of related activities.
- Interaction with others requires understanding, influencing and supporting people, through applying technical knowledge or rational arguments aimed at causing action or acceptance by others.
- Participates as a team member in a specific phase of a broad engineering assignment.
- Employees in this position perform projects, research, and testing, as assigned, that contribute to the development of new or improved products, processes or techniques.
- Coordinates planning, organization, and implementation of engineering projects within constraints of specific objectives and target dates as specified by management.
- Evaluates research and testing for members of the organization and prepares appropriate documentation and recommendations to submit for review and consideration.
- Publishes regular activity/status reports, updates asset and change control databases, uses business systems such at requisition applications, and a variety of other administrative activities.
- May be required to take off-hours call-outs.
- May include climbing many stairs into caster facility at least daily.
- May include occasional physically lifting and carrying equipment up to 75 lbs
3 years of demonstrated experience in software or automation system development/maintenance roles of a technical team in a business or industrial environment.
Certifications or 3 years of equivalent work experience in computer programming and at least one of the following:
computer operating system administration,
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Experience working successfully in a self-directed team environment.
5 years of Level 2 supervisory process control or process automation experience in heavy manufacturing environment, preferably in steel manufacturing.
5 years of experience in programming in a variety of higher level languages, including C, .NET, FORTRAN, Java, C++, etc.
5 years of experience with DBMS as a database administrator and/or SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
5 years of experience with process modeling. Knowledge of direct control systems such as PLC, DCS, and hybrid systems.
5 years of experience with Windows and/or VMS server operating systems.
Project management training and/or experience.
Bachelor Degree in Engineering or at least 3 years of documented equivalent work in an engineering or computer related occupation.
Bachelor Degree in Engineering or at least 5 years of documented equivalent work in an engineering or computer related occupation.