The Facilities Department is searching for a Machinist to join their team. This is a regular full-time position and is eligible for benefits.
Performs routine and production machining of metals and plastics.
- Performs general machining of metals and plastics usually of a routine or production nature with occasional one-of-a-kind jobs (machining ranges from lab apparatus to repair of ship's equipment).
- Makes the simpler machine set-ups and builds simple jigs and fixtures.
- Grinds own tool bits and machines to close tolerances from drawings.
- Works with engine lathes (up to 36"), vertical- and horizontal-headmilling machines, drill presses, radial drill, band saws, table saw, bench grinders, shears, brakes, presses and rolls, and full range of hand and portable tools.
- Performs other duties as required.
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to carrying up to 50 lbs independently, up to 100 lbs with assistance. Carrying up to 50 lbs independently. Visual requirements of depth perception, ability to see peripherally, ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus, ability to distinguish basic colors. Hearing abilities to include ability to hear and understand verbal instructions and safety warnings. This position is mostly sedentary work with occasional/frequent prolonged standing/walking. Manual dexterity and mobility, use of hands for fine/basic grasping and manipulation. Occasional reaching/stooping/bending/kneeling/crouching. Possible exposure to dust and other irritants, grease and oils, electrical/mechanical/power equipment hazards. Physical duties are subject to change.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED:
Technical H.S. or vocational school machine shop program; 2 years experience in a machine shop.
WHOI is a member of the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). We are sensitive to the issues of dual career candidates and we will work with applicants to address them. Please visit HERC - for more information.
WHOI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans/M/F. We encourage Veterans and those with Disabilities to apply. Applications are reviewed confidentially
Applicants that require accommodation in the job application process are encouraged to contact us at (508) 289-2253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance