The Facilities Department is searching for a Shop Services Assistant to join their team. This is a regular full-time position and is eligible for benefits.
This is an entry level position, reporting to a Mechanical Shop Supervisor. Under direct supervision, performs a variety of routine work associated with the areas of machining, maintenance, electrical, and/or carpentry.
- May setup and operate standard machine tools (i.e. lathe, grinder, milling machine, drill press).
- May work on drilling, tapping and deburring of machined parts.
- May perform basic milling and turning operations.
- May assist with inspection and diagnosis of repairs; may modify and repair existing equipment and components.
- May perform routine carpentry tasks.
- May assist with painting.
- May perform electrical tasks as designated.
- Must be able to utilize basic hand tools associated with specific trade assigned (i.e. machining, electrical, or carpentry).
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may, from time to time, deem necessary.
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to lifting up to 50 lbs independently (100 lbs with assistance), above the shoulder, shoulder to knee, knee to floor. Lifting under 50 lbs 2 times per hour/10 times per day. Lifting 25 to 50 lbs 10 times per hour/50 times per day. Carrying up to 50 lbs to a distance of 10 feet. Carrying under 50 lbs. Carrying 25 to 50 lbs up to 2 times per hour/10 times per day. Carrying 10 to 25 lbs up to 10 times per hour/50 times per day. Carrying 0 to 10 lbs up to 20 times per hour/100 times per day. Visual abilities to include depth perception, ability to see peripherally, ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus, ability to distinguish basic colors. Hearing ability includes ability to hear verbal instructions and safety warnings. This is mostly sedentary work, occasional standing/walking, prolonged standing/walking, manual dexterity/mobility, use of hands for fine/basic grasping/manipulation, occasional reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling and crouching. May be exposed to dust or other irritants, grease and oils, electrical/mechanical/power equipment hazards. Physical duties are subject to change.
Must be able to obtain TWIC
High school, vocational school, or equivalent trade training. Incumbent should be mechanically inclined and suited to do accurate work that requires concentration and physical effort. Should have basic mathematical aptitude and understand basic concepts for reading drawings.
WHOI is a member of the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). We are sensitive to the issues of dual career candidates and we will work with applicants to address them. Please visit HERC - for more information.
WHOI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans/M/F. We encourage Veterans and those with Disabilities to apply. Applications are reviewed confidentially
Applicants that require accommodation in the job application process are encouraged to contact us at (508) 289-2253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance